• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier Film Box Adds New Footage, English Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Unless the box is encrusted with diamonds and rubies and full of steak and cupcakes, I'm not forking over a hundy for two movies. They're movies.

Do you really get all that many diamonds and rubies for even ~$180 these days (ignoring the movies themselves, along with the steak and cupcakes)?

While I own the original movie singles, I'll probably buy the set. I've seen negative comments about the subtitles of the Macross Plus movie that was in the Macross Plus OVA/movie BD box (which I own, but have yet to glance at), so I'll probably wait to see what people have to say about the Frontier movies' subtitles before I click on the 'purchase' button.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the subtitles on the movies.
DJ Azure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
What's the Region on this? I want to play it on my PS3 but I'm not sure what Region number the Blu Rays are
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
DJ Azure wrote:
What's the Region on this? I want to play it on my PS3 but I'm not sure what Region number the Blu Rays are

This will be a Region A disk most likely:

A Includes most North, Central, and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Korea.
DJ Azure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
DJ Azure wrote:

A Includes most North, Central, and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Korea.

You mean a Region 0 disc? So I can play it on my USA PS3?
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
First release of Macross Frontier anywhere with english subtitles. A true must but for any Macross fan with a bit of extra dough to spend.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DJ Azure wrote:
Nayu wrote:
DJ Azure wrote:

Japan and USA are on the same Blu-Ray region but different DVD regions.
Darkshader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Macross for me is still my top anime of all time. And for us to get an english subtitle for two macross frontier movie is the best news I've heard since bandai announced macross plus boxset.

Ofcourse it is not the same price that we get from other anime tv series boxset, but if you want to watch it then you need to pay. What I do is I compared it to other anime movie imports and i think it is okay because we are getting two movies and this is macross, high budgeted movie.

Heck if we are buying kiddy, cutey, or non-sense anime ... then spending money for macross is worth it. Macross is like Lord of the Ring version of movies. So I encouraged all anime fans and macross fans to buy this movie, in that way if Bandai see that they made a lot of sales, then maybe Bandai will release a subtitle version for macross tv series, macross zero, macross 7, and macross frontier tv series. So please support. Dont buy harmony gold version.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
DJ Azure wrote:
Nayu wrote:
DJ Azure wrote:

No, a Region A disk and yes, you can play it on your USA PS3. Region Number is for DVDs, Region Letter is for BD. We're the same as East Asia for blu rays. Blu rays are those funny disks you can play in your PS3/PS4 but not your Xbox 360. Razz
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
DJ Azure wrote:
Nayu wrote:
DJ Azure wrote:

No, a Region A disk and yes, you can play it on your USA PS3. Region Number is for DVDs, Region Letter is for BD. We're the same as East Asia for blu rays. Blu rays are those funny disks you can play in your PS3/PS4 but not your Xbox 360. Razz

Anime Blu-Ray discs from Japan are generally region-free.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
This is why you can't have nice things.

I spent over $100 each on a number of movies (The Nanoha ones in particular) and they are far superior to the second rate releases we get over here. So, enjoy mediocre releases cause you won't pay for quality.

I fail to see how a bunch of stupid, cheap promotional crap shoved into a box and a bunch of no-budget behind-the-scenes features create "quality".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
While I own the original movie singles, I'll probably buy the set. I've seen negative comments about the subtitles of the Macross Plus movie that was in the Macross Plus OVA/movie BD box (which I own, but have yet to glance at), so I'll probably wait to see what people have to say about the Frontier movies' subtitles before I click on the 'purchase' button.

I'm not worried at all any more. Someone in the comments section on Crunchyroll's version of this article said that there was a note (from you?) on Fandom Post saying that you were doing these subtitles. Ick, that's a terrible sentence. ^^; I have yet to visit FP today, so I haven't seen it myself. Thank you.

So where were you for Macross Plus? ;p
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

I'm not worried at all any more. Someone in the comments section on Crunchyroll's version of this article said that there was a note (from you?) on Fandom Post saying that you were doing these subtitles. Ick, that's a terrible sentence. ^^; I have yet to visit FP today, so I haven't seen it myself. Thank you.

So where were you for Macross Plus? ;p

You can credit this to Satelight pushing for that screening of the second movie at Japan Expo in Paris last year in honor of Kawamori being the guest. That's what got the ball rolling.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nayu wrote:
This is why you can't have nice things.

I spent over $100 each on a number of movies (The Nanoha ones in particular) and they are far superior to the second rate releases we get over here. So, enjoy mediocre releases cause you won't pay for quality.

I fail to see how a bunch of stupid, cheap promotional crap shoved into a box and a bunch of no-budget behind-the-scenes features create "quality".

It is more than "promotional crap", I have the JP Nanoha movies he is talking about and they have a very different feel than NA releases. Just the feel of the box is different than any NA boxset that I own - far more sturdy/solid than anything ADV/Funimation/Geneon has ever done.

I don't like paying JP prices, but am willing to do so for a handful of releases that we will never see a US release of and include English. Nanoha and Macross Frontier are worth it, and I am always impressed by the quality of JP products. Wouldn't pay those prices for everything though, just my favorites.
Darkshader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Here are my comparison to make other people fully understand. I break it in 3 categories to give some people here an idea the differences in buying a Japanese Anime Edition compared to a U.S. Anime Edition.

Japanese Anime Regular, Limited or Box Set Edition = Blu-Ray Movies that are collectors or special edition worth $40 to $100. Example: The Sound of Music Box 45th Anniversary Edition.

U.S. Anime Edition = Blu-Ray Movies regular edition that we usually buy the first time it was released. Worth $20 to $30.

Rightstuf SAVE Anime Edition = DVD Movies cheap edition that you can buy for $2 - $7 at Bestbuy.

So, don't get mad if someone can afford to buy the collectors edition haha. And besides most people who buys the japanese anime english subtitled version knows that it will be a long wait to get it localized here in the states or none at all if its a limited edition. Do you guys shop at amiami store? Tell me how many times does U.S. bring those Anime or Videogames Collectors Edition here? All I can say is very rare ... maybe only 15% percent or unless the game is titled Final Fantasy. So if I see a Macross english subtitled version, I won't think twice in buying this anime.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm tired of hearing certain people complaining and ridiculing Japanese pricing of subtitled anime discs.

Graphic and packaging design of Japanese edition is really nice though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5