• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote

Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes: gender switch, isekai

Plot Summary: A 32-year-old unpopular salaryman is transported alongside his handsome friend to a fantasy world, due to the whims of a naked goddess. While his friend has been transported without change, the salaryman now has the body of a beautiful girl. To get his male body back, he must go on an adventure with his friend to defeat the world's demon lord.

Jan. 11, 2022 (Tuesdays; Crunchyroll)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Generally this should have been an easy answer for right up my ally, involving gender shenanigans, and romance that in someway straddles queer. But the first episode also made me feel conflicted about certain stances, whether there is a sense of heteronormativity and sex based gender essentialism. Pretty much that becoming biologically female now must make him a woman, and romance is only normal and to be expected in heterosexual contexts.

The most fun reading of the show might have been that the handsome one already had attraction to his friend, who themselves might have always been affected by societies standards of heteronormative expectations of assigned gender that they never gave the chance to feel attraction. I say this from the stance of someone who it took until almost 30 to realise that I had never been fully comfortable with the gender that I was assigned, and unpacking that I had also been supressing my attraction to the same sex out of such societal pressures. But I also really can't expect that a show like this would actually have done that right, rather than the panic of characters being afraid that they are gay, which is honestly kind of tiring when you do have this gender shenanigans.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I wasn't thinking this show would feel as fun as it is at first.
In regards to the gender swapping, I am not expecting some deep unpacking of emotional baggage from this show, so I'm simply taking it as a bit of fun and finding its enjoyable that way.
I understand wanting more from a show, but I am doubting this show will give us that pay off in the end, but if they DID manage to all the while keeping this the kinda light-hearted comedy as well they'd have some genius writers. Here's to hoping I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So, they bunny thing was a guardian deity to some local elves, who happen to worship the beauty goddess And also they later started eating said guardian's meat, which the elf also started ignorantly eating also. I would say that the last bit especially gave me a laugh.

I am enjoying the show. I think especially with this episode being a bit more easy on the gender/sex thing, that while he was drunk, he also seemed to be starting question his gender, asking whether gender is something of the body or spirit.

The dialogue is also being pretty snappy, that it has some nice comedy bits just with that. Hinata also trying to say that he thinks the elf is pretty, which just comes across as more hurtful. Also, probably better to be more positive rather than critical, which makes me wonder that whatever quick shot of a matriarch in Tsukasa's life has made him act so, such be another case of calling someone a exhibitionist.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the humour of this show. However, Jinguji did tick me off with his attitude in episode 3. Yes, Elf Girl is obviously ridiculous, but she had a legitimate gripe: he did kill the forest guardian and he did set some of it on fire. He's being a dick not apologizing for that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Finally, the moment I've been waiting for - Tachibana got her "ears"! YAY!!! I saw them in the OP and was wondering when they'd finally show up.[/u]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I was thinking from the previous episode, that seemed most likely that Shen was gay. I was a little worried it was falling into a predatory gays trope when he was approaching Jinguji, up until it he shifted into wanting to relieve his stress. I still think he is gay, in addition to whatever assassin hijinks are going on, but it would be cool if that wasn't a big deal.

I was also thinking that to my memory this was the first time Tachibana had been showing interest in women since he was was transformed, which maybe alleviates my worries that there was some essentialism of making Tachibana attracted to Jinguji after becoming female. It makes me comfortable to think Tachibana is at least bi.

But this episode was also very funny, I particularly laughed when Tachibana and Shen were doing a sexy off for Jinguji. Also how the temple perfectly played with expectations via Jinguji voicing that he was surprised that it wasn't something like a pool party, looking rather normal, and then it totally was.

Also, I continue to think that Jinguji unnecessarily overreacts to elements he is not comfortable with, there being much better ways to have handled the confrontation with the goddess followers. On paper Jinguji comes across as perfect, but Tachibana's more passive and not start a fight with people often feel preferable.

Also, as a big fan of fantasy, and notable examples like The Elder Scrolls, the thought crossed my mind of the goddess Dibella, the goddess of love and beauty in the games. Such as if in the context of the games the characters could be so silly, with within the lore they are known to be rather raunchy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I think that this might have been the best episode yet, and to a point I almost feel a bit sad that even as likable as the show has been it took until now to be like this episode, and there is probably only a few episodes left.

I really think the character chemistry was the standout was the standout here. In addition to Tachibana and Jinguji, you have Shen as a shameless flirt towards Jinguji as opposed to towards Tachibana. And then the threw in the king, who in a lot of ways fits into a stereotype of fantasy king, but his introduction played it up as ridiculous in how he was dressed, but explainable with the royal family's apparent connection to the goddess of beauty, but ridiculous in it being from an old man. Followed up by him reciting a 'prophecy' he was given by the goddess as a poem, which I think could be described pretty much gyaru slang, which again is ridiculous coming from the king and being held so high by all the nobles and guards.

In the party I think again worked well when Jinguji being his perfect yet imperfect self in being overly strict and controlling than would probably be fair to Tachibana. Which Shen just had to make himself present again at teasing Tachibana in not being able to enjoy the good booze, which past events would show Tachibana might not keep up appearances well. Tachibana met the princess, which allowed some character development from Tachibana thinking about what his relationship is with Jinguji, and further characterisation of the princess was fantastic. Her character had great chemistry with Jinguji, where he wasn't be swayed by her cuteness, following his character of usually unaffected by women, but he really not getting that there should be nicer ways to deal with her

The king hilariously said way too much about his daughter, which might have some reasonable aspect that she can't just join them, but also that there is reasonable frustration on the princess' end. And made for a nice comparison between the princess herself and and Jinguji, for why Tachibana might be drawn to treat her a certain way. But did not expect the princess to actually start a rebellion, by turning her father daughter issues of never being given freedom, into trying to bring down the whole monarchy by invoking the people.

I think that I am explaining what happened in this episode a bit too much, but I think that I am trying to figure out what exactly about this episode worked so well with me. I think that it was a perfect mix of pathos and comedy, mixing ridiculousness with ideas that I think were actually well thought through. And stemming through the idea of the gyaru like goddess that was made fun of at the beginning of the series, was actually a well respected and revered entity, that had a part in establishing this society. It kind of makes me think of Konosuba, if we saw that Aqua's weird ass and pitiful traits, or that Megumin's people were influenced by the night goddess earlier.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I really enjoyed this episode, and in general the series. It was a really nice turn of ending the conflict. Tachibana getting across that he has wanted to be praised and feel good about himself, and Jinguji facing that he needs to do that for his friend. Tachibana remembering through the corruption that he might be jealous of Jinguji, but he still cares about him as a friend and looks up to him. And Jinguji going on a huge list of Tachibana's traits that he actually appreciates, and may be jealous of himself. It worked really well with how I was pointing out that Jinguji is meant to be perfect in a bunch of ways, but it is many of Tachibana's more empathetic traits that makes him a great person. And it works well within the series, where Tachibana has been put into a body that is meant to have a superficial amazement to his looks, but those looks really don't do much for his confidence as a person.

I thought it fantastic that after all that, Jinguji was now going out of his way to make sure his friend feels appreciated, and stop Tachibana from putting himself down. The comedy was also still strong, such be when Tachibana was in a bow off against the king in being sorry, and then commenting on the princess pretending she wasn't at fault at all. Also, Tachibana also getting charmed by Jinguji, which is perfect. I also liked Schwarz by the end, he worked great as not only a parody of the Kirito character like, but moving past it, even acting as the straight man.

But again, I really enjoyed it, and although I understand not all parts are really that PC, as you can probably easily read some implied elements of homophobia in there, I think there was a net positive to it, and fit well up my alley. To compare to the Wise Man Pupil that has been this season (same days), the whole gender shift seemed to barely matter there, but was done well here. And has many funny moments that I will likely recall fondly. My rating is going to be Very good (8/10), I would love to come back for a second season, and have more funny stuff. One of my tops of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1