• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My One-Hit Kill Sister (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote

My One-Hit Kill Sister (TV)

Source: Web Novel & Manga (manga ongoing @ 9 volumes, written by Konoe, illustrated by Kenji Taguchi)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Gekkō

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: isekai

Plot Summary: Asahi Ikusaba is a high-school student who got lost and ended up in another world. He has knowledge of video games and fantasy worlds, but he is weak and does not have any "cheat abilities." He finds his older sister Mayu in the other world, and she has the strongest cheat ability and also has a brother complex.

Air Date & Platform:
April 8, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I found this reasonably humorous. Funny enough to check out more of it. Ya know, if isekai shows didn't exist, I'd have a lot more time to, like, cure cancer and stuff.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:16 am Reply with quote
Blood bro -

Isekai gets a bad rap because it's probably the most popular genre. One thing I've noticed is that Isekai is rarely the most numerous genre any particular season (this season, there are more urban romance anime, for example) but it's a reliably heavy hitter every season while other genres like sports anime, idol anime, girl club anime, and so on come and go in waves.

Isekai therefore spawn a lot more of the bargain basement type shows from people who know they don't have to spend a lot of money or time on production values to get a reasonably sized audience.

And I get the frustration. Last season I was hyped about Malevolent Spirits: Monogatori, and I was worried it wouldn't get a season 2, so I checked the Crunchyroll popularity charts even though this isn't normally something I'd worry about. And it sucked, watching Malevolent Spirits place lower than Fruit of Evolution, Reborn Master of the Blade, Strongest Exorcist, et al.week after week.

And by the way, I watched both of the latter two shows myself, even though I thought they were low to average. I'm an Isekai whore myself. Male protagonist, female protagonist, male turned into a female protagonist, person turned into a monster protagonist, it doesn't matter... something about traveling to another world where magic exists really appeals to my inner geek child. It's like, the same appeal of escaping day to day mundane realities that I get from zombie apocalypse movies, plus fireballs.

And I'll watch a lot of crap to indulge that yearning.

All of which was me avoiding the fact that I read your post, Blood, but I didn't watch One Hit Kill Sis yesterday because I didn't have a lot of time, and comedies with a sibling who doesn't respect genetic boundaries aren't my favorite fare. Common sense and social norms aside, they usually just aren't very funny IMHO.

But fine, I'll watch this show today. And while I'm telling my story at this week's meeting of my Isekai Watchers Support Group, I'll be unfairly pushing the blame on you. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:30 am Reply with quote
Dang, now I feel guilty, Edjwald... I woke up this morning realizing I just can't do another super heavy load season. I just can't. So in a rare fit of manliness, I did a bit of pruning of my schedule and this is one I'm putting on ice, after all. That's not to say I won't bring it back, but for now it's dropped.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:47 am Reply with quote
Oh come on, Blood, I was just kidding. One of the things I've learned in my Isekai Watchers Support Group is that the first step to addressing a problem is admitting that YOU have a problem.

So I'm admitting you have a problem .
Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:02 am Reply with quote
Laughing

By the way, thanks for depressing the hell out of me. In my blissful ignorance, I had no idea that Friggin' Fruit of Devolution was ranked higher in viewer popularity than Malevolent Spirits. Not that I needed more evidence, but that one fact alone shows that humanity truly is doomed.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
Although this season has a lot of anime, it is nowhere near as nuts as previous season was quantity wise. Last season just had too much going on and it was near impossible to see everything you wanted to unless you made some harsh cuts (or no life it).

As for this show, something about the sister feels off to me. The way the world does not react to her makes me think something is up with that. Otherwise a fun enough Isekai.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:27 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way, thanks for depressing the hell out of me. In my blissful ignorance, I had no idea that Friggin' Fruit of Devolution was ranked higher in viewer popularity than Malevolent Spirits. Not that I needed more evidence, but that one fact alone shows that humanity truly is doomed.

Heh. When I focus on stuff like that, I always get this mental flashback of Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog, "The world is...it's...anyway, I just need to rule it."

If only I had a realistic plan for world domination...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:42 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
As for this show, something about the sister feels off to me. The way the world does not react to her makes me think something is up with that. Otherwise a fun enough Isekai.

I feel sort of the same way I felt about Rokudou's bad girls (speaking of time, I gotta go and didn't get a chance to respond to Blood over there).

I don't really get the entertainment value of seeing the potentially most interesting character subordinated by a less interesting character. The female lead should be attractive, but she's like the inverse of the woman in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Instead of "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." she's "I'm not Attractive, I'm just drawn that way."

Every time the sister licks her lips, I shudder. Which is sort of the effect the anime is going for, for comedic reasons, but still...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:33 am Reply with quote
Yep, Blood- "Tower of Strength" has already cracked. I put this show on ice, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'll give it another episode or two, but if it isn't hitting me with the jollie stick by then, I'm OUT, YA HEAR ME??? I'M SERIOUS, OKAY???

@ smurky turkey - interesting observation about the sister. I hadn't picked up on that. Could we be in Sixth Sense territory? *cue ominous music*

But, I hear ya on Rokudo, Edjwald, I feel the same way.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
Welp, scratch that theory of mine. In the second episode the sister had a clear presence and was seen, spoken and fought with by the demon lady. Otherwise the second episode was fun and had some solid fight scenes. Plus lots of shrooms.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:42 am Reply with quote
Well, your sixth sense theory got to me watch the second episode, which I liked better than the first. Still think it's a so so show swinging at the low hanging fruit and indulging in one of anime's more inexplicable tropes, but at the very least, it went into territory that most shows about an OP protagonist avoid. I can't think of many OP run amok shows where the OP person in question has to deal with a legit rival.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:43 am Reply with quote
Another two episodes in and the show is still solid fun. It is not anything amazing, but be it mushroom collecting or a haunted mansion, they show makes every quest a silly adventure. I also like how the demon lady comes by every episode to kakaka things up.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:29 am Reply with quote
As mid as the show is, I gotta give props for Asahi indeed slowly getting stronger. At the very start he could not beat anything, now he can handle a pack of wolves or some killer bees. His sister is still much much stronger than him, but he is staying on the grind.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:30 pm Reply with quote
There is something very disappointing with how many anime fail to get above average production values, but this mid albeit very silly anime with an uncomfortable incest angle has some of the best production values of the season.

Not even Dead Mount Death Play can get better production values and that one is based on a famed author who had previously well-made anime adaptations of his previous work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2