• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Murder Princess (OAV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Murder Princess

So were talking about a new OVA based off the manga by Sekihiko Inui. Animation is done by Bee Train so this should be interesting to say the least.

Spoiler through episode one

spoiler[Starting off with opening riffs I initially thought it was a POD knockoff, even the singer sounded somewhat similar to them, maybe that's the deal sound like someone else and make lots of money....Even Death Note new music sounds similar to System of the Down.

Disagea, that's my originally reaction to seeing the purple hair, well another samurai sword wielding heroine.....it's hard to knock to it because it's just so damn cool. I really like the medevil style of armor and dress along with the weapons...I wish more Historical Fiction based on the medieval age of Europe....but then again this is Japan.

Alright.....little robot girls with super cute moe powers....fantastic. Haha it's Mega-man remake....you've got Dr.Wily along with his evil robots, wow this could get ugly real fast....and now it's freaky friday this story is quite weird, then again this is anime I should be ready for these kinds of things. Damn that was some super sweet Kantana seeing as how it ripped that monster to piece pretty easy, yet skull face could only give that thing a bloody nose with it's scythe. I really love these guitar riff towards the end of this episode it really gets me in a real rocking mood, overall most of the scenes have had good music. Alright time for some fighting (as our new princess returns to the castle)...which is very plain and boring at least they kick up the blood for this. Augh the lame finishing move where we don't see how they defeated them, that bothers me to no end....show me how they disarmed the person. Maybe I am spoiled after the incredible sword fights in Le Chevalier D'eon. So ends the first episode ends with what could be the end to lots of series, so I wonder if the next OVA will have lots of high jinks now that the bad guys are defeated. well at least temporarily. ]

Should be interesting to watch this show, overall I am little down on this show just because I watched Claymore directly before this and I really liked the art style and just about everything, Murder Princess isn't bad but it's definitely different. I am going to stick with and see what happens, well that is until I spent all my time on Romeo and Juliet....
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
So far, so good. That Nippon Ichi Soft art style is what immediately drew me into the show; the bright, cartoony colors and lots and lots of blood. OK, so it isn't a perfect combination, it's still a lot of fun. Interesting story, unique premise, great art style, and pretty good music to boot, should be worth keeping up with.

This is proving to be a really good season.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Even though I found it incredibly predictable (spoiler[I knew right away they were going to switch bodies when they started glowing]), Murder Princess was easily the most entertaining thing I've seen in a long time. The OP was a great fit for the show and got me in 'action' mode. The BGM was great too and really enhanced the mood. I didn't think the animation was anything special but it was great to see that the action scenes were actually animated.

I liked it enough that I went ahead and ordered the first volume of the manga (Amazon had it in early) so I'm excitied to see how the two compare. I don't know anything about the story of MP except what has been introduced in the first episode but I'm curious as to where it will go. I kind of felt bad for the real Alita seeing as how she's trapped in another body and has to watch as someone takes the throne as her. I'm wondering if any jealousy issues will come into play. The ED made it look like they'll be pretty good friends though so I'm sure it will be interesting. I can't wait until the end of the month to see more.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
i'm not sure where i stand on this one yet. i thought the overall production was great. i like the music, and the fight scenes were awesome, however the plot was pretty ridiculous, and the characters were extremely cilche. i agree the main villian(?) also reminds me of Dr Wily for some reason.
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Woo, I have not watched the first episode (though I have it).
I read the encyclopedia for Murder Princess and it sounds stunning.
I will express my thoughts later once I have watched the first episode.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 didn't have too much action sequences spoiler[except that battle against that Frankenstein], but there's a good amount of comedic scenes involving Falis/Alita trying to coup the ways of the noble life (especially with that whole business with that corset she has to wear). And there's spoiler[Alita/Milano blushing over Falis/Alita's naked body when she tries to wake her up! Twisted Evil

And then there's this. Now if make them go a little closer.......Rolling Eyes]

Interesting thing near the end of the episode is when spoiler[after Falis/Alita killed off that Frankenstein, she kept on slashing it, and then she had her eye on slashing that little girl. It's a good thing Alita/Milano stopped her.]

I wonder, could this be the most action-packed series Bee Train has done? This is probably because this is a 6-episode OVA, but it doesn't seem like they wasted too much time on their usual useless panning of scenes.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
We watched the first episode in anime club last week. The action scenes made us all drool with delight!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this one so far, mainly because it's like Disgaea, only unlike the Disgaea anime it doesn't suck. In this extremely packed anime season, this is one of the good ones.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Even though I found it incredibly predictable (spoiler[I knew right away they were going to switch bodies when they started glowing])

Given that it happens half-way into the first episode, I don't think it counts as a plot twist. And if you watch the opening, you should be able to figure it out as soon as you meet the characters. I know I'm not watching this for the plot, anyway.
RelenaSohma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Where would you guys find murder princess online?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
RelenaSohma wrote:
Where would you guys find murder princess online?

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13816
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I just saw episode 3 yesterday, I'll try to make an on topic comment.

So, I'm thinking spoiler[Alita's brother is the dark knight. I started to get the impression when he showed up and started chopping the robot monster without even trying, then the sorceress chick being by herself, during the welcome back parade clinched it. I'm also thinking he's figured out the body-swapping thing already.]

For some reason I haven't enjoyed the second and third episodes as much as the first.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Just watched this on Netflix since it's expiring in a few days and is only six episodes.

It was pretty good, but I felt that there was sooooo much story/character exposition sacrificed by the fact that is was a short OAV (not to mention a few minor plot holes that were left unexplained/unfulfilled). The story had a good premise, but it definitely felt rushed and wasn't adequately fleshed out. The characters were engaging and entertaining, but there wasn't nearly enough revealed about their backstories to make them as endearing as they could have been. For example, spoiler[Kaito's motives for betraying his kingdom aren't entirely sound and he seems to want to bring upon the end of the world for some poorly explained reason. Cecilia's actions don't make much sense, and her reason for burning down Falis' village and killing her father ('because I could') irked the crap out of me. She (and Kaito, for that matter) was also pretty easily defeated after all her big talk. I also would have enjoyed knowing exactly how Dominikov and Pete came to team up with Falis and how their relationship developed, but alas. As far as Falis and Alita are concerned, they seemed to assume their new roles a bit too easily and, again, I would have liked to have known so much more about their origins].

For what it was, it was alright. Most of my gripes stem from the fact that (what I assume was) a lot of material was compressed into just six episodes. Had it been a full series, I feel it could have been a lot more tight and cohesive and...well, just plain better.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
a five year bump, now that impressive
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, this post doesn't really break any rules. The thread is from ANN Series Discussion Index.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2