• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clannad / After Story (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Clannad (TV)
Clannad After Story (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance
Themes: Bishojo, family, harem, high school, moe, school, school life

Plot Summary: Tomoya Okazaki is a third year high school student resentful of his life. His mother passed away from a car accident when he was younger, causing his father to resort to alcohol and gambling. This results in fights between the two until Tomoya's shoulder is injured in a fight. Since then, Tomoya has had distant relationships with his father, causing him to become a delinquent over time. While on a walk to school, he meets a strange girl named Nagisa Furukawa who is a year older, but is repeating due to illness. Due to this, she is often alone as most of her friends have moved on. The two begin hanging out and slowly, as time goes by, Tomoya finds his life shifting in a new direction.
----------------------------------

Clannad After Story discussion starts here

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

The first episode of Kyoto Animation's third Visual Art's/Key adaption is out! But the fullscreen version kind of bothered me so I do plan on replacing them with widescreen versions later.

Well, there's nothing much to spoil in terms of plot since as usual it's mostly introductions at a pretty brisk paced. Though I have to say, those transition wipes were pretty iffy. In this series, we are introduced to main male lead named Tomoya Okazaki who pretty much hates his city due to some bad memories connected to it. Then he met up with a girl named Nagisa Furukawa, and obviously stuff is going to change. There were quite of bit of hilarious moments here such as:

spoiler[- Tomoya's friend Youhei Sunohara has the potential of being the next side-male punching bag for the rugby team and Tomoyo Sakagami.

- In fact Tomoyo is SO FREAKIN' COOL! No wonder she has her own spinoff game! Surprised

- That little moment of Ryou Fujibayashi doing her fortune telling was amusing. You thought she was being clumsy when she fumbled shuffling the cards, but was it part it? Who knows; she was able to tell his fortune.

- Oy, that book Ryou's sister Kyou threw at Tomoya looks like it's going to be painful if he got hit! Shocked

- The dynamics between Nagisa's parents were very refreshing and hilarious! I can see how the theme of family is going to be incorporated.]

There were some interesting events that happened as well.spoiler[- I wonder what that vision Tomoya thought up is about. He felt like the world he's in is all stagnant with nothing changing until he met a mysterious girl who feels that she's alone. He actually started to worry about her. I sense foreshadowing!

- Now here's concept that's rarely dealt with! Seems like Tomoya is absolutely ashamed towards his dad for being a deadbeat ever since his mom died.]

The OP sequence is very slick as usual though I actually find myself liking the ED sequence a bit more. It's really simple yet really innocent in representing family and community. Yeah, I'm pretty sappy! And everyone loves a dango! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what a dango is but the ED is made of win for using the Nagisa theme.

Anyway I hope to watch this later today, sucks being throttled to 6kb/sec at the start of a new season :\
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I've just watched the first episode and I was also bothered by the full screen look, which Kyoto Animation hasn't done since Fumoffu? Razz Another annoyance was the shutter transitions but I'll probably get used to them as the series goes on.

Although I have to say that I loved that Opening Theme and I think I have seen it 3 times already Very Happy .

Before watching this I read the 1st 2 chapters of the manga, a while ago, to see what to expect and the anime seemed to rush things and constantly going back and forth from one thing to another but it was a pretty good first episode overall.

I probably won't like this as much as Kanon, due to those issues and the fact that it is missing my favorite male voice actor. Anime smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Wow, this seriously sold me on the show! I'm going to try and watch it as soon as I get the chance. The ending theme is incredibly adorable. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Wow, this seriously sold me on the show! I'm going to try and watch it as soon as I get the chance. The ending theme is incredibly adorable. Anime hyper

Same here. That clip was more than enough to make me want to check it out! Very Happy Probably going to sometime latter today.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I probably won't like this as much as Kanon, due to those issues and the fact that it is missing my favorite male voice actor. Anime smile

But Minoru was in the show; he was 'Male Student'.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I checked out the first episode a little while ago and already I'm eager to see more. I did find the transitions between parts a little plaid out. I thought it was a fair start, I thought the effect from going black and white to color was cool when Tomoya encoutered with Nagisa. To me it showed that Tomoya entered into Nagisa's life and brought upon hope and feeling; bringing forth and identifying the hero. The art in this title is well done, particularly the outside scenes. The character designs I didn't really had much of a problem with except that I think that one of the character's behind was a little big or that could be just me me with my wide screen. Oh well...the characters bring a nice nostalgic feeling. The opening song had a nice soothing beat, melodic nor doesn't sound too depressing but I think I like the full version better. As for the ending, I would be lying if I said that I hated dango. Confused
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
After watching episode 1, I want to watch more of it. Nagisa Furukawa seikaku is like of Misuzu Kamio of Air, more like of quiet type of person that memorizes a lot of friendy conversations that will interest a person. Quite a good start. Youhei Sunohara's character is like of Jun Kitagawa of Kanon '06, Well, Yukito Kunisaki of Air has a similarity to Tomoya, as said the posts above, Tomoya is pretty cool. I have noticed that characters are very similar to each other, since it is done by KyoAni and an adaptation of Visual Art's/Key.

Master_M2K wrote:
I probably won't like this as much as Kanon, due to those issues and the fact that it is missing my favorite male voice actor.

How about Tomokazu Sugita? Is he one best for seiyuu for these protagonist characters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
It's a solid first episode, as expected from Kyoto Animation.

The opening is nice, though not as good as Last Regrets and Tori no Uta.

I like all of the character's so far, though its too early to pick favorites. Kyou and Tomoyo are my current picks for favorite but Mamiko Noto's character hasn't shown up yet, so there could easily be an upset.

Nagisa seems like a solid lead character and I love Mai Nakahara's voice for her. Also, she has a good chemistry with the Tomoya.

As for Tomoya, he seems like a pretty good lead so far. He lacks the sarcasm of Kyon, but he seems like he has a much darker cynicism and still proves to be an amusing (at times) character. I think I'm going to like him.

Tomoyo was awesome, but its hard to say much about her or any of the other girls since none of them have had enough screen time.

Master_M2K wrote:
I've just watched the first episode and I was also bothered by the full screen look, which Kyoto Animation hasn't done since Fumoffu? Razz Another annoyance was the shutter transitions but I'll probably get used to them as the series goes on.

My understanding is that the 16:9 ("wide screen") version will air on another station at a much later date. I figure the DVDs will have the wide screen version as well.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
I guess I expected way too much going into the show, but it fell a bit below my expectations. Not that it was bad, but there were a couple of things that didn't quite impress me.

The first was the OP song. The arrangement is good, and so is eufonius, but they're probably one of the last groups I'd want to perform the opening to a type of series like Clannad (with the possible exception of Ali Project), as their vocals just don't fit the show at all. I do like how it was remixed to fit the show better, and who knows, maybe it will grow on me.

Some things felt a little cliche or rehashed from previous Key games. The first scene with spoiler[the guy getting beat up by the rugby club] felt kind of forced, like they were just trying to insert a bit of light humor. That spoiler[girl who got into a fight (forgot her name, was it Tomoyo, or was that someone else?)], maybe she'll grow on me, but right now she just seems like one of those typical tough-girl archetypes. The spoiler[Nagisa scene with her parents felt a little too much like Yukito being in Haruko's house in Air. ] Besides that I thought it was all good and I especially like Tomoya who's just as kind-hearted as Yuuichi but decidedly less sarcastic. Not quite sure I like the blonde guy, but at least he already has some quirks that make him original in his own way.

Third was the animation. I don't know why they chose to do full screen, but while the animation was solid, it didn't feel extremely crisp and stunning at all times like Kanon and Air did. There were moments in the episode where I stared in awe, but almost half the time the animation didn't really make an impression on me like other KyoAni works.

I really like Nagisa though. She's kinda less clumsy than Ayu and Misuzu, the moe a bit more toned down (I liked Misuzu moe but sometimes I thought it went a bit too far), and more independent. Also, because (I think) Nagisa is a year older than him (is she 18 already??) it doesn't feel like the male lead is a lot older than the female lead like in Kanon and Air. The music also blended really well, and I like the vast change in setting (it's a bit more busy while Kanon and Air were more lazy, relaxing, and mysterious in a way).

Since I wasn't quite impressed with Kanon Ep 1 either and it ended up exceeding my expectations, I have high hopes that I can expect Clannad to be absolutely amazing in the near future.

animebrainyanic wrote:
Nagisa Furukawa seikaku is like of Misuzu Kamio of Air, more like of quiet type of person that memorizes a lot of friendy conversations that will interest a person.

Yeah, Mai Nakahara has a really soft and cutesy voice without overdoing it. But she's also really good at portraying characters when they're really pissed off...
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Clannad is produced in HD and is 16:9, the tv stations airing it are showing it in SD and 4:3 except for one station that will be 3 weeks behind. Don't blame KyoAni, blame the tv networks.

Anyway 8 DVDs have been announced and they contain 3 episodes each so unless no more are announced later on it's locked in at 24 episodes.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Pacing felt a little off at times. Character personality limits the comedical possibilities. Other than that, standard above average start, so not really a bad thing.

The opening sequence (before the OP, the intro) was really well done, again, just as expected.

Strongest point so far, music. I agree, Nagisa's theme is made out of wins. It conveys pretty strong emotions, considering the simplicity of the piece.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of this and the first episode of Myself; Yourself and I find myself remembering the latter far more than the former...Clannad certainly has better animation and artwork and the music is especially better but as far as characterisation and general 'goodness' goes Clannad (I know it's Celtic/Welsh but what does it mean?) is not winning the race.

First ep and all so I can happily forgive and forget and if Myself; Yourself turns into major harem territory then I will be displeased but Clannad has so far seemed to be second string of this seasons 'romantic' stories.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't really think any of KyoAni's Key adaptation has been focused mainly on romance. The strongest one is Kanon, and that's more regarding promises and friendship. This may just be due to the fact that the main male lead is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

And also, IIRC Clannad's main theme is about family is it not?
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the first episode was pretty solid. The OP was very sweet and catchy, but it has tinge of melancholy in it as well. The characters all seem to be pretty likable. It's too early to make a real verdict on any of them though. I like Tomoya's spazzy blond friend Sunohara, as well as Nagisa and Kyou. Props to Nagisa who doesn't overdo the moe thing like Misuzu, but she can still be cute without having to pepper her sentences with "gao" or "ugu".
The show is visually gorgeous and I didn't expect anything less. The ED is very cute and similar to a children's lullaby. I liked it a lot.
I don't think I'll like it as much as Kanon 2006, but I can tell that Clanad is off to a good start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 41