• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Uma Musume Pretty Derby (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Okay, having a race with all the main horse girl characters, where all of them tied as winning, is a little bit corny. But I think in the end corny works, they did a pretty good job here at creating highlights to all the girls, that I think it would feel deserved. I was much more worried that we would not know who won, that they would leave it ambiguous as way of saying it does not matter who wins. But who won did matter for each of these girls, and I guess it is kind of nice that none of them felt the frustration that popped up from earlier losses.

I can say that I enjoyed the series, but I somewhat feel like it might come across as cheating. I don't know if it is a personal thing that I had ended up a bit burned out with anime, and a good portion of this show had me losing interest that I would be going on my tablet while watching. The series had some strong parts, but I think it also had quite a few weak parts that just lost my interest. If I had to make a problem of something, I might point to weak worldbuilding, where all the horse girls seem to only be at teenage age, we don't really see their mothers, siblings, or what they can do after they no longer race, or that racing is the only path for them. I know that a lot of it is a flimsy excuse to have horses as girls, but better can be done. The show also does not escape from some pervier aspects, like an adult man feeling up a girl's leg without permission, but most of it feels like not too bad fun.

It looks like maybe those who are really into horse racing could get a lot out of this, but I kind of have absolutely no interest. The deeper cuts to real world horses, kind of really did not mean anything to me. Going back to world building, I think that it was kind of silly to have these girls actual names being the names of race horses, there being some throwaway line about names from another universe, but I think it could have been much better if they had more normal names, and adopted the stranger names as some sort of race name. Who is naming their baby girl "Vodka"? I would land on a rating of Decent (6/10) I don't think I lost my time, but it did have times that it was losing my interest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, an 18-way tie is kinda preposterous, if that's what they were implying. Smile But I had fun with this anyway. A little pissed they never even acknowledged Special Week's death though.

I was snooping around to see if I could find out why they designed Gold Ship with the bellhop's cap, and blinders where her human ears would be, but all I could find was that for some reason her namesake usually ran with a hood on his face (not blinders) that made him look kinda metal, like an executioner. Smile Also that Mejiro McQueen was his grandfather.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Yeah, there was a second season. I think I should be upfront first off, that I might have been kind of watching this season wrong. Special Week was the main character of the first season, but she was pretty much a side character this season, with Teio becoming the main character, which kind of threw me for a loop. Maybe Teio wasn't a bad character, maybe even an interesting character, but it did feel like kind of weird.

The season also more often than not kind of at least felt like it was addressing an injury of some kind, that Teio was ending up hurt. In in some respects it kind of felt like it skirted around the idea that maybe the fact that Teio was going so fast but ending damaging herself, was not something exactly healthy. It was a bit of get back into the game, the race is what matters, not that maybe there are other things. I assume that they don't get put down or go to the glue factory after no longer being able to run.

I will say that I think that the OP was pretty catchy, with no more being obvious than the last episode where it was used as the idol song, and I thought was better than some of the actual idol shows this season in what they did. There were a couple of interesting characters this season, the better probably being the unorthodox ones, such as Rice Shower, her arc was pretty interesting, about the fear of being hated for upsetting the winning streak while still wanting to win.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I might not have been super interested in it, and I will admit I probably had my own hang ups of the spotlight shift from the first to second season, not giving credit for how good it might have been. But I do think that it is worth watching, you might even be the type of person that could enjoy it, since it was not technically bad or anything.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Tōkai Teiō is still racing in this? I thought she was the President's assistant, i.e., retired. I wanted to watch this, but I'm so backlogged on series (still need to watch Log Horizon and Beastars, among others!) and the new season is already starting. Gah! First world problems!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
I still think that the interesting part of the show is how all the girls are named after real life racehorses and actually follows their real life injuries. From what I was reading, the real Tokai Teio suffered four leg fractures. The Arima Kinen that Teio won was actually his last race before retirement. Probably the most interesting fact is that the President, Symboli Rudolph, was Tokai Teio's father in real life.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to read others reactions to this, I hadn't heard anyone talking about this show and it's nice to see.

I had very up and down reactions to this show. I would frequently tune half out as well, especially towards the last half of the season, but other parts were oddly moving. I think I actually teared up twice this season during a race as I wished for a come behind/underdog...er...underhorse to win...That is probably just my personal thing, I tear up at stupid stuff...(like parades...with nobody I know in them even Rolling Eyes )

The girls were fun, I liked that they were distinguishable and I could tell who most were at least. Then again, they were horse girls which is such a stupid premise it was always hard to get past for me. They would have random horse characteristics but not others, it always felt slightly more fetish than believable. Maybe if this were more my fetish I wouldn't have noticed, but it isn't so it would come up again and again in my mind, why only girls?

Anyway, it was worth a watch. I'll give it a decent or so so probably. If there were more I'd probably half watch again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I had very up and down reactions to this show. I would frequently tune half out as well, especially towards the last half of the season, but other parts were oddly moving. I think I actually teared up twice this season during a race as I wished for a come behind/underdog...er...underhorse to win...That is probably just my personal thing, I tear up at stupid stuff...(like parades...with nobody I know in them even Rolling Eyes )

This is totally me, I used to get pretty embarrassed by ending with tears in my eyes from a school assembly or something. I stand by having teared up when watching The Lego Movie, the climax really got to me. I actually feel a bit bad when I have become embarrassed by it, and tried to harden myself up, so people wouldn't make fun of me.

I agree that at least most of them are distinctive, I couldn't tell who most of the characters were in Idolly Pride as an example. The only female thing has continued to be weird, and make me not want to look too hard at the world.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I dropped the 1st season but am trying the 2nd season because of the Farris review. I am struck by the injury plot element because I just recalled an article that I read decades ago ─ and I can't even remember where I read it. Be that as it may, I do recall that the main point of the article was why girls drop out of track & field in high school. The reason for that is that when puberty hits girls then their speed actually decreases and they drop it in despair. What puberty does to girls' pelvic area is to change it to allow for child birth; but while this is going on the speed of the girls is negatively impacted and they don't regain their speed until their college years. But, the article asserted, because no one is telling the girls about what is happening to their bodies then they don't realize that they will become competitive in their later years of college.

See Our Bodies, Ourselves
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
No idea if anyone else is watching the third season, but it is a solid watch thus far. It has its serious moments, but it is also not nearly as dramatic as the second season was at times. Plenty of jokes, silly moments and familiar faces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2